This healthy potato pancake recipe is baked instead of fried. Cheddar cheese, onion, and our Kansas City Southern Rib Rub make it a breakfast fave. To save even more calories, swap out the regular cheddar cheese for low-fat, and substitute light sour cream for regular.
- 3-4 red potatoes (about 1.5 lbs)*
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp Kansas City Southern Rib Rub
- 1 egg, beaten
- sour cream and chopped scallions for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Shred potatoes in food processor. Place the shredded potatoes on two layers of paper towels, wrap, and squeeze to wring out excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, add shredded potatoes, chopped onion, flour, cheese, Kansas City Southern, and egg. Mix until well combined.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a quarter-cup measuring cup, add 8 scoops of potato mixture onto each baking sheet. Press each scoop into a round pancake with your fingertips until it's about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake pancakes for 30 minutes until golden brown. Halfway through the baking time, flip pancakes and swap baking sheets from lower to upper oven racks to ensure even cooking.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and season lightly with Kansas City Southern Rib Rub to taste.
- *To save time, you may substitute one 20-oz bag of frozen shredded hashbrown potatoes for the whole potatoes.
Featured Product: Kansas City Southern Rib Rub
Why it works: Kosher salt, smoked paprika, fenugreek, white pepper, and ground mustard add a warm, savory notes to these pancakes, creating a ton of flavor without a bunch of added calories.