An easy weeknight dish, these chicken thighs are first soaked in a homemade marinade that features our Three Kings Sweet+Spicy+Smoky Rub and then grilled over indirect heat on our natural cedar planks, resulting in a smoky, sweet tangy flavor reminiscent of Hawaiian BBQ. Delicious served over sticky rice.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1.5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Three Kings Sweet+Spicy+Smoky Rub
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin removed
- 2 Caboose Spice & Co. cedar planks
- Soak the cedar planks in water for at least one hour and up to overnight.
- Whisk soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, honey, Three Kings, sesame oil, coconut oil, warm water and garlic in a small bowl.
- Place chicken thighs in a large resealable bag. Pour mixture over thighs, covering all of the meat. Squeeze air out of bag, seal, and refrigerate until you're ready to grill (at least 30 minutes or up to overnight).
- Preheat grill for cooking over medium direct and indirect heat (about 350-400°F).
- Place soaked planks over direct medium heat and close the lid. After about 5 minutes, the planks will begin to smoke and char.
- Turn the planks over, and place marinated chicken thighs on the charred side of the planks. Place over direct medium heat, close the lid, and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Move planks to indirect medium heat, and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until the internal temp reaches 165°F. Brush with honey in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Featured Product: Three Kings Smoky+Spicy+Sweet Rub
Why it works: The delicate flavor of the chicken thighs is perfectly balanced by the sweet heat of habanero, maple sugar, and hickory smoke. The subtle smoke of cedar and sweet natural honey perfectly align with the flavor profiles of Three Kings.