Juustoleipä (Finnish for “bread cheese”) is used as a delicious base for any of our seasonings to create a simple, yet delicious hors d’oeuvre. Serve with wine or crackers for a delicious appetizer. As sampled at our Williams-Sonoma Artisan’s Market events!
Where to buy Juustoleipa Cheese
Our favorites are Pasture Pride Juusto and Carr Valley Bread Cheese.
- Ridley’s Family Markets in Middleton, Idaho: We purchase Juustoleipa at our local Ridley’s store; however, you could ask your local grocer’s deli manager to order these cheeses for you if they don’t already carry them.
- Boise, Idaho area: We’ve recently discovered that Pasture Pride Juusto is available at Boise area Fred Meyer stores. A Fred Meyer’s employee informed us that it may be purchased in the service deli at the Glenwood store, and should be available at other stores in the Treasure Valley. You can call your nearest store at the numbers here to check.
- Online: You may also purchase Carr Valley Juusto cheeses on Amazon.com (here) but shipping can be pretty expensive!
- Carr Valley Juustoleipä (Bread Cheese)Available on Amazon or inquire at your local grocer
- One or more of Caboose Spice & Company blends: Abilene Depot, River of No Return, Three Kings, Old No 1, or Kansas City Southern Rib Rub.
- Hickory Plank (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sprinkle both sides of cheese block with your choice of Caboose Spice & Company seasoning.
- Score cheese with a knife into bite-sized squares.
- Place cheese on a hickory plank or baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake cheese in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until soft.
- Cut cheese into bite sized pieces along score lines. Pierce each with a toothpick and serve.