Finger steaks make great Paleo snacks. Typical finger steaks are breaded and deep-fried. These are made Paleo & Primal friendly by coating them with a breading made from a mixture of shredded unsweetened coconut, flaxseed meal, and almond meal, which bakes to a delicious crispy texture in your oven.
Paleo Snacks (or a Full Meal): Idaho Finger Steaks
When we had these for dinner on Monday night, I posted this on Instagram:
I didn’t get very many likes. Maybe I shouldn’t have made the comment about using real fingers? You see, finger steaks are really an Idaho thing. Even Guy Fieri of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives fame thinks so. See 5:20 in this clip from the show’s visit to Boise’s West Side Drive In:
A lot of people have never heard of them, and when you say “finger steaks” to an “out of stater” that’s the first thing they think. Like we would go around eating people’s fingers. Seriously.
Do you see a bunch of fingerless people running around?
The Elusive Crispiness: Paleo Breading Redux
I’ve noticed that a lot of Paleo recipes that call for breading end up soggy and not so delicious, especially ones that use coconut flour. I decided to experiment by ditching the coconut flour altogether. Our breading uses these three delicious elements:
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Ground Flaxseed meal
- Almond meal
The result: OMG. So crispy and nutty and delicious. I cannot wait to try this breading on some tilapia that’s waiting in the freezer.
Now, get to making your very own delicious paleo snacks with the recipe below. Be sure to let us know what you think in the comments, an don’t be afraid to share the recipe with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, Google+, or your favorite social network.
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup flaxseed meal
- 1-2 tablespoons Kansas City Southern Rib Rub (or to taste)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 lb Sirloin steak
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix almond meal, shredded coconut, Kansas City Southern Rib Rub and flax seed meal in a shallow dish.
- Beat eggs and milk together in another shallow dish.
- Cut steak into strips approximately 1/2 in x 1/2 in x 4 in.
- Coat steak in egg wash, then dredge in dry mixture.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Put cookie sheet in oven and set timer for 20 minutes.
- When timer goes off, turn finger steaks over. Set timer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and check. Cook to desired doneness.
- Serve with spicy cocktail sauce. Enjoy!
- Serve with our delicious Sweet Potato Fries recipe.
About Kansas City Southern Rib Rub
Kansas City Southern Rib Rub is our nod to the great tradition of Kansas City BBQ. While it was made for use on ribs, it’s great on other meats too! Give it a try on the above finger steaks recipe, or try it on beef skewers, lamb, or pork shoulder. The possibilities are endless!
Let us know what you think about our recipes, and get yourself some Kansas City Southern Rib Rub to try!