Learning how to bake sweet potato fries is a must, especially when you live in Idaho (the “Famous Potatoes” state) like we do. If you don’t know how to do this, it’s time to learn. You can thank me later.
Whether you use sweet potatoes or yams, you’ll love this recipe. I prefer yams due to their bright orange color. They’re just beautiful.
How to Bake Sweet Potato Fries: The Secret to the Art of Crispiness
How do you get a crispy, non-mushy sweet potato fry in the oven? You need to use oil. Period. The great part about baking the fries instead of deep frying them is that the amount of oil used is greatly reduced. By just tossing your cut yams in a few tablespoons of oil, you will get a delightfully crunchy fry with less calories. The oil also helps seasoning stick to the fries.
I use coconut oil because we are living a Paleo/Primal lifestyle. However, you can use olive oil, vegetable oil, avocado oil, etc. I love the sweet, nutty flavor the coconut oil imparts to these fries.
Season before or after cooking?
I always toss my raw fries in oil, sprinkle seasoning, and toss again. This is great for 2 reasons:
- The oil helps the seasoning stick to the fries
- The seasoning toasts during cooking, increasing flavor and decreasing bitterness.
The first reason is kind of a no-brainer. The second reason may be less intuitive. Spices, especially chiles and related peppers, need to have a little heat on them to toast them to reduce bitterness and bring out their depth of flavor.
We used our Three Kings Smoky Spicy & Sweet Dry Rub, but you can use your favorite seasoning salt if you’d like.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- 1 large yam
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Three Kings Smoky Spicy & Sweet Dry Rub
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Peel yam, then slice into fries, about 4" long x 1/4" wide x 1/4" thick.
- Melt coconut oil in large glass bowl.
- Toss fries in coconut oil until coated.
- Season fries with Three Kings Smoky Spicy & Sweet Dry Rub. Toss again.
- Spread fries evenly on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Place on middle rack in the oven. Set timer for 20 minutes.
- When timer goes off, turn fries over. Set timer again for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
About Three Kings Smoky Spicy & Sweet Dry Rub
Meet Three Kings: Spicy, Smoky, and Sweet. These three distinct tastes blend for an amazing depth of flavor. Habanero peppers give it a delightful heat, perfect for any meat (especially chicken), and even for adding an extra dimension to potato salad!
Let us know what you think about our recipes, and get yourself some Three Kings to try!